Matar Paneer Masala | Cottage Cheese with Green Peas in Tomato and Yogurt Gravy
Paneer(Cottage cheese) owns a special place in Indian cuisine. Be it a birthday, wedding, get together or any occasion, you name it, there always be a paneer recipe present. I always wonder how many variety of recipes are there, like paneer tikka masala, shahi paneer, palakpaneer, paneer pasanda, kadhai paneer, paneer takatak etc., just to name a few. So, I decided to make one which is a simple and classic dinner recipe: Matar Paneer Masala. It’s a gravy based recipe in which paneer and green peas are cooked in tomato and yogurt gravy. And the garam masala(which is basically a mixture of whole ground spices) gives it a unique aromatic flavor. This is a perfect recipe for a weekend or for guests coming home. So, let’s dive into it.
Begin by preparing a thick paste of tomato, onion, green chillies and cardamom in a food processor.
Next, prepare marinade by mixing yogurt, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt.
Now, cut paneer into desired shape, preferably large cubes, and left into the marinate for 8-10 mintues.
Heat oil in a kadhai, add onion-tomato paste and fry till golden brown.
Add marinated paneer, some water and cook for 7-10 minutes.
Add green peas…
… and raisins, mix well and cook with cover for 4-5 minutes.
Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with parantha. Enjoy!
Matar Paneer Masala : Watch the Video
- 250 gm paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 whole onion, sliced
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/2 cup curd
- 4-5 cardamom
- 2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 10-12 raisins
- coriander leaves (for garnishing)
- Start by making a thick paste of onions, green chillies, tomatoes and cardamom in a food processor.
- Next, prepare marinade by mixing yogurt, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt.
- Cut paneer into desired shape, preferably large cubes, and left into the marinate for 8-10 mintues.
- Heat oil in a kadhai, then add onion-tomato paste and fry till golden brown.
- Add paneer along with marinade, some water and cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Add green peas and raisins, mix well. Cook with cover for 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot with parantha. Enjoy!