Medu Vada | Black Gram Fritters
Medu vada is a popular south Indian breakfast made with urad dal batter flavoured with spices like ginger, fenugreek seeds etc and deep fried in oil. It is usually served warm with sambar and coconut chutney or at room temperature with yogurt, popularly known as Dahi vada. This vada recipe is slightly different from traditional one, generally curry leaves, fenugreek seeds, green chillies etc. are also added, but the one here is basic, simple and gives crispy exterior and soft interior. So, let’s begin.
Soak urad dal for 7-8 hours in water.
In a food processor, add soaked urad dal, ginger pieces and grind…
…into a thick paste.
Add salt into it and beat for 2-3 minutes until it becomes soft and fluffy
Using little water in one hand, pat it making a round doughnut shape.
Fry till golden brown.
Serve hot with sambar, coconut chutney or just plain with tea.
Medu Vada : Watch the Video
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram), soaked
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 ginger
- oil, for frying
- Soak urad dal in water for 7-8 hours and then, grind, with ginger pieces, in a food processor to make a thick paste.
- Add salt into the paste and beat for 2-3 minutes till it becomes fluffy.
- Using little water in one hand, patt it making a round doughnut shape.
- Deep fry in oil, on low flame, till golden brown. Enjoy with coconut chutney, sambar or with yogurt.