Uttarakhand Bhatt ki Churdkani | Black Turtle Bean Daal
Black turtle bean is a small, black shiny variety of beans. Its daal in Uttarakhand cuisine, locally called Bhatt ki Churdkani, is a very popular dish and is mostly eaten during winter days as it is not only rich in protein and carbohydrate but also keeps one warm and energetic all day long. So Let’s cook 🙂
Begin by heating oil in an iron kadhai and add cumin seeds.
When cumin seeds begin to splutter, add black turtle beans and saute for 3 minutes, you will hear popping sound.
Reduce heat to low, add wheat flour and dry roast till it turns light brown.
Add crushed garlic and mix well.
Add water and all the spices powder, bring it to boil.
Reduce heat to low again, and let the daal simmer for 20-25 minutes, it’ll become thick in consistency.
Serve hot with rice.
Black Turtle Bean Daal : Watch the Video
- 2 cups black beans
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- salt (to taste)
- 2 tbsp oil
- a pinch of hing powder,
- cumin seeds (for tempering)
- 4 cups(1litre) water
- First, heat oil in an iron wok (Kadhai), add hing powder and cumin seeds for tempering.
- Now, add black beans and saute till you hear popping sound.
- Add wheat flour and dry roast until it changes its color to light brown then add garlic paste and saute for 1 minute.
- Add water and all the spices into it and bring it to boil. Let it simmer for half an hour. Serve hot with rice.
This daal taste best when cooked in iron wok (kadhai).