Veg Pulao | Mixed Vegetable Indian Fried Rice
I remember my childhood days when after my classical music training class, I used to go and eat veg pulao from a street vendor to squelch my evening hunger. I eagerly wait and watch the whole process, that how quickly he cuts and fry each vegetable, spices he adds and so on.
So motivated by this, here I am going to share with you my version of veg pulao which I often make when there are some leftover rice and I want something that is quick and easy to cook. I always like to add as many vegetables in it to make it super healthy. Below are the vegetables I generally add but you can choose whatever you like. I usually accompany it with pickle, raita or just plain yogurt. So, if you’re looking for a rice dish to cook at lunch or dinner tonight then you can prepare this simple pulao recipe. And, don’t forget to tell me how it went! I would really love to know your version and how you usually accompany it with! So let’s roll 🙂
Step by Step Method to Prepare Veg Pulao
Begin by chopping all the vegetables.
Now, heat oil in a pan and …
…add cumin seeds and wait till they start to crackle.
Add the onions and saute them till golden brown.
Now, begin adding vegetable one at a time and saute each one for few minutes. First, add potatoes …
… then add carrots …
… then capsicum …
… then corn kernels …
… then peas …
and lastly, mushrooms.
Add all the spices, that is, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt.
Fry for few minutes on low flame. Keep a close eye that things don’t get burned.
Finally, add paneer (cottage cheese) and gently mix with vegetables otherwise it will crumble.
Add rice and mix till they get well-coated by all the spices.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and green chillies.
Serve hot with curd or chutney.
Veg Pulao : Watch the Video
- 1 bowl cooked white basmati rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cupchopped potatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped capsicum
- 1/4 cup chopped mushroom
- 1/4 corn kernels
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1/4 cup paneer
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- Coriander leaves and green chillies (For garnishing)
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds till they start to crackle.
- Now begin adding vegetables, frying each one for few minutes. Start from potatoes, then carrot, capsicum, corn kernels, green peas and lastly mushrooms.
- Add all the spices(red chilli powder, turmeric powder and salt) , mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Then, add paneer (cottage cheese) cubes. Mix gently so that it don't crumble.
- Add white rice and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and green chillies.
- Serve hot with curd or chutney.